The Department of Mathematical Sciences was established in 1888 and became a part of the College of Arts and Sciences in 1936. An undergraduate degree in mathematics was offered in 1936, a master's degree in mathematics in 1947 and a doctorate degree in 1956. The department has 23 tenure track faculty and 12 college track faculty.
The department is very active in research, with over 200 papers reviewed by MathSciNet in the last 5 years, an active colloquium series of research talks, and research groups that include:
- Algebra Group
- Analysis Group
- Applied Mathematics Group
- History of Mathematics Group
- Logic and Foundations Group
- Mathematics Education Group
- Statistics Group
- Topology Group
Members of the department are involved in several grant-funded educational projects, some in conjunction with the College of Education. Information about some of these projects can be found under the Activities link on this page.
The science and mathematics collections are housed in Branson Library, across the street from Science Hall. In addition, a mathematics reading room in Science Hall contains frequently used advanced monographs as well as recent and current issues of journals.Last modified: 2014-02-27 12:24:55 leisher